Thursday, April 28, 2005

April is the Cruelest Month

Classes for the first year of law school ended today, and it was, to say the least, anti-climatic. The closest any of us came to signaling that we didn't have to drag ourselves over to 250 Joralemon anymore (though I've heard people will continue to haunt the library in the weeks during finals) was the swell of applause that broke out at the end of Con Law. It was strange that of all the instructors we had this year, the one we clapped for was the one most likely to be embarassed by it. But like I've said before, our man Con Law has grown on us, and it was nice to let him know that we've appreciated him. Also, everybody felt guilty for not sending off our visiting Contracts professor in better style last semester, so maybe there was a little atonement there too.

I guess it's because for most people, the semester isn't really over until the last final is handed in (on Friday the 13th for the superstitious). But for me, law school has been a suprisingly social experience. On coming here, I'd made special plans not to get to know anybody, as I figured the nightly reading would give me more of a taste of legal culture than I could stomach. Thankfully for me, it turns out that it's a impossible way to live, and that the personalities involved in the law school experience are just as enduring as the work. So I'll hunker down in my dank little apartment and crunch together some outlines and look forward to the end-of-days party (Union Bar: Park & 17th), but for now, this is the way the semester ends, not with a bang but a whimper (more shameless cribbing from Eliot).

Hopefully, everyone else's attention spans have grown as short as mine, Judging by all the thousand-yard-stares I saw in the courtyard, we're in the same boat. Torts final on Tuesday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home